Welcome to the Shotgun pipeline Toolkit developer and reference documentation. Below you will find a detailed technical reference of all Toolkit Core APIs as well as information useful for developers and engineers.
What is the Toolkit Platform?¶
The toolkit Core platform consists of a number of different APIs and subsystems used to run the Shotgun toolkit platform.
The toolkit core platform includes the following systems:
- A standard Shotgun authentication API which centralizes user interaction and persistence of authentication information.
- A Descriptor API which handles remote resource management, code and config and distribution and connects the Toolkit platform to Shotgun, the Shotgun App Store, git and other systems.
- APIs for launching applications, creating plugins and managing the launch and initialization of the Toolkit Platform.
- A set of Core APIs to manage file system naming conventions, folder creation and management of the current work area.
- Base interfaces for Toolkit Apps, Engines and Frameworks.
Who is this documentation for?¶
This documentation is intended for Software Engineers or TDs who are either developing Toolkit Apps/Engines or doing advanced integration of Toolkit into their pipeline and workflows.
Accessing the Toolkit Core API¶
As with all APIs, the Toolkit Core API is a combination of public interfaces and internal logic. We refactor and evolve the Toolkit Core code on a regular basis and this sometimes changes to the internal structure of the code. We recommend only accessing Toolkit via the methods documented in this API reference. These form the official Toolkit Core API and will always remain backwards compatible.
As a general rule, each package in the sgtk core API imports its full public interface. This is to provide a cleaner interface and make refactoring easier. We therefore recommend importing from the package level whenever possible:
# recommended and documented API access from sgtk.authentication import ShotgunAuthenticator # we recommend *avoiding* deeper, module level imports from sgtk.authentication.shotgun_authenticator import ShotgunAuthenticator