It’s possible to add S3 replication between two S3 buckets in different regions and configure Shotgun to leverage it for faster access to media.
- Support one replica bucket in another region leveraging the AWS S3 replication feature
How it works
When S3 bucket replication is activated, users will be able download media files from the replica S3 bucket.
For each user, the S3 replication is activated by the
Use S3 Replication field.
||Never use replica S3 bucket (default)|
||Use replica S3 bucket when delay is over|
||Use replica S3 bucket when delay is over and the client IP is in
IP Adresses for S3 replication preference can be edited in Site Preferences under the Isolation category.
- Only one replica S3 bucket can be configured
- Only downloading from the replica bucket is supported
- Configurable delay for new media to be replicated before being made available to users
- Create the replica S3 bucket in a new AWS region. See Media Isolation
- Update your existing Shotgun role policy to allow Shotgun to also access the replica bucket
- Setup the replication rules on the primary S3 bucket. See How do I add a replication rule to an S3 bucket?
- Setup a VPC + Direct Connect + S3 proxy in the new AWS region. See Media Traffic Isolation
- Contact Shotgun Support to configure your site to use the new S3 replica bucket, providing the following information:
- Replica Bucket Name
- Replica Bucket Region
- Replica S3 proxy URL
Copy existing media
S3 replication only applies to media uploaded after the feature has been enabled. Existing media in the primary bucket must be copied to the replica bucket manually. You can simply use
aws-cli sync or use Amazon S3 Batch Operations if you have a lot of media to achieve this.
See Fine Tuning to finalize your setup and optimize costs and security.
Go to Setup for an overview of the possible next steps.