This site is here to teach you about all of the ways that developers can interact with the Shotgun web app, the Toolkit platform for building artist pipelines, and the RV suite of digital review tools. The Guides section contains tutorials, guides, and other educational resources, while the Reference section holds detailed technical documentation for APIs and configuration files.
Who is this site for?
This documentation is intended for software engineers, Pipeline TDs, or anyone who will be setting up a pipeline and looking to develop tools around Shotgun and RV.
For general help with using Shotgun, please see the Shotgun Help Portal.
How can I develop pipelines with Shotgun?
Shotgun provides a powerful set of tools for customizing your studio’s Shotgun experience. Here are some of them.
Interested in interacting with Shotgun through custom code?
- The Python API provides CRUD methods to give you raw access to data going in and out of your Shotgun database.
- The REST API has functional parity with the Python API, but gives you full data access to Shotgun in programming languages other than Python.
- The Toolkit Core API provides an interface to the Shotgun Pipeline Integrations, such as automating publishing, handling file locations, and building cross-software functional tools.
Want to automate processes around the Shotgun web app?
Shotgun offers a few technologies for adding triggers or custom menu items to your Shotgun site:
- Action Menu Items, or AMIs allow you to add items to the context menus on entities, from which Shotgun users can run custom logic.
- Webhooks allow you to create custom reactions to events that take place on your Shotgun site. When a chosen event takes place, an HTTPS request is issued to an endpoint you define, with a payload of information about the event. You can then create custom code that uses this payload to react however you want.
- The Event Daemon framework is another solution for creating reactions to events on your site. Choose the Event Daemon framework if you prefer to limit incoming internet connections to your studio.
Want to extend Shotgun into your artist pipeline?
Shotgun Toolkit is a platform for building plugin integrations within artists’ tools that bring the Shotgun experience into production workflows and give you the foundation for a publish pipeline.
There are many ways to customize your Toolkit setup:
- The Toolkit Pipeline Configuration is a set of YAML files that give you control of many options within Toolkit’s plugin apps.
- Hooks allow you to inject custom Python logic at specific points in Toolkit’s workflows, without having to fork the main codebase.
- The Toolkit Core API provides methods with which pipeline TDs can quickly build configurable tools that can run across common content creation software.
- In addition, various app and framework APIs allow you to write code that handles specific Toolkit functionality, like publishing artist work, dealing with UI widgets, and various utilities.
Want to customize your studio’s media review experience?
- Automating Color Pipelines and View Management
- Providing artist-facing tools within RV that utilize existing studio libraries
Want to learn more about real-world ways that others are using Shotgun?
Our Community Forums are a home for vibrant conversations among Shotgun staff and users, administrators, and developers working with Shotgun every day.